Sunday, March 26, 2006

Collect for the Fourth Sunday in Lent (BCP, p. 130)

Grant, we beseech thee, Almighty God, that we, who for our evil deeds do worthily deserve to be punished, by the comfort of thy grace may mercifully be relieved; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, now and forever. Amen.

We have already passed the mid-way point in our Lenten journey, but Archbishop Cranmer is not letting us off the hook too soon. We are to always be mindful that it is only through the unmerited, benevolent grace of God that we are not punished as we deserve. Even when trying my best to serve God in all things, and in all ways, I still manage to foul things up. Human nature at its absolute best!

I thank God that I have the unlimited opportunity to ask for His forgiveness, and know that it is complete. I can seek strength in my daily fight against evil and Satan, and know that it will be given me. I trust in that grace, and I live in the comfort of knowing my conscience can be relieved.

No comments: